Software Engineer, Back-end (Remote)
Published on February 26, 2023
Transfix, named to Forbes’ “Next Billion-Dollar Startups” list, is the leading transportation solutions provider whose digital brokerage marketplace and logistics software offerings are helping transform the $800 billion trucking industry. Since its founding in 2013, Transfix has been driven by a mission to deliver simple, smart, and sustainable solutions for shippers and carriers, powered by people and technology.
Here at Transfix, we are not only building incredible technology to help solve some of the world’s biggest, most complex, and most important challenges in the freight and logistics industry; We are also helping protect our environment and are passionate about making the world a better place by increasing sustainability and eliminating the extreme amount of waste that currently exists in our industry.
By combining deep industry expertise and a best in class carrier network with cutting-edge technology, Transfix is reimagining the world of transportation. Transfix works with some of the largest Fortune 500 companies such as Staples, Unilever, Target and Wayfair rely on Transfix to handle their most important FTL freight needs. With instant pricing, algorithmic matching, superior service, and unmatched intelligence, Transfix is optimizing the supply chain from start to finish.
The problems we solve everyday are real and require creativity, grit, and determination. Recognized as one of Built In’s Best Places to Work 2021, Transfix is building a culture that challenges norms while fostering experimentation and personal growth. We’re hiring team members who are passionate and are energized by the vision to simplify and transform one of the largest and most complex industries through technology, data and a strong commitment to customers.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a Back-End Software Engineer to help us build world-class products that are driving a long-overdue disruption to the lynchpin of our global economy – the supply chain. At Transfix, we're transforming the freight industry by developing technology that provides automation solutions to an industry plagued by manual processes and excessive waste. In this role, you’ll work with our passionate, fun, and highly collaborative team to build, enhance, and streamline critical technology that is solving real-world problems every day.
Click this link to learn more about our team, our stack, and some insight into Life @ Transfix!
If the idea of transforming an industry, being part of an innovative culture, and making a positive impact on the environment sounds exciting to you, please keep reading!
Note: This role is part of Transfix's fully-remote Engineering team. Our headquarters is based in New York City, and we are prioritizing candidates who are based in Eastern, Central, and Atlantic time zones.
In this Role You Will:
- Build the core freight-management software platform that allows us to serve a variety of players in the freight transportation sector - from big-box retailers to mom and pop shops.
- Expand our existing products and APIs to serve new customer types and modes of transportation across the freight industry.
- Integrate our software with a variety of freight management APIs, automated shipping brokerages, and external data providers.
- Expand your experience working with industry best practices that include Continuous Deployment, automated testing (unit- and end-to-end), production monitoring, and alerting systems.
- Participate in blameless post-mortems and retrospectives that empower us to learn from failures and successes to improve team processes and software design.
- Our tech stack consists of GraphQL, Ruby on Rails, Python, React/Redux, Typescript, PostgreSQL, Redis, and Snowflake. We are hosted on AWS and leverage a variety of their services. Code is tested using CircleCI and a variety of unit- and end-to-end testing frameworks including RSpec, unittest, Jest, and Cypress. We monitor our production software with tools like Datadog and Sentry.
You’re an Excellent Fit for this Role if You Bring:
- You have at least 2+ years of professional software engineering experience in a web context.
- You love writing clean and clear code - and you have hands-on experience with Ruby or at least one of these back-end languages: Python, Go, or Node.js.
- You have a developmental mindset - you’re continuously looking to improve as an engineer and welcome both scheduled and unscheduled constructive feedback.
- You feel that collaboration is key to a successful tech organization and actively seek to partner with Product Managers, Designers, and your fellow engineers.
- You take pride in delivering high-quality products and build confidence in the software you deploy using a combination of automated testing, manual testing, and monitoring tools.
- You have a bias for shipping, learning, and iterating.
- You enjoy both learning from colleagues and mentoring others.
- You participate in technical kick-off meetings about your work and others - you can constructively disagree with others while maintaining trust and respect.
What You can Expect from Transfix:
- This role is part of Transfix's fully-remote Engineering team. However, we value real-time collaboration in our teams and are prioritizing candidates in Eastern, Central, and Atlantic time zones.
- We are offering a market competitive salary depending on experience level, scope, and geographic location, which includes base salary as well as Restricted Stock Units (equity) in Transfix.
- We offer 100% company paid medical, dental, and vision health benefit premiums. That's $0 out of your paycheck!
- We offer 3 months of parental leave, fertility coverage, childcare support, pet insurance, gym reimbursement, unlimited sick days, generous PTO, and have 7 company holidays + 3 floating holidays.
- Career growth! We are growing quickly and prioritize developing our teams to meet their full potential and promoting from within.
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice, and Sustainability. About half of our executive Leadership team is female, and half of our employee population is BIPOC. We have several incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), such as [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected], and are committed to continuously improving diversity and inclusion every single day.
Are you concerned that you don't meet every job requirement? Studies have shown that women are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification, and we know that companies that welcome diversity are 170% more innovative. At Transfix, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, even if your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply! You may be more aligned than you think for this role, or a great fit for other roles here.
Transfix is deeply committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our hiring, programming, and in our work both internally and externally. We recognize how critical diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are to achieving our mission, our growth, and our success. In support of this commitment, some of our focuses include (but are not limited to):
- Developing policies, procedures, and services to our employees, carriers, and shippers that uplift and protect to prevent inequalities
- Building relationships among our employees, customers, and supporters that are reflective of our community
- Prioritizing the inclusion of diverse communities and underrepresented groups in internal leadership
- Fostering a culture of compassion, empathy, open-mindedness, compassion, and inclusivity
- Creating and maintaining opportunities for continuous education, discourse, and engagement related to issues of equity, diversity, inclusion, and social justice
Transfix is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Transfix are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, and are made without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), or any other basis protected by law. It is Transfix’s policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity. Transfix does not and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Transfix encourages applicants of all ages.
To all recruitment agencies: Transfix does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be held responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.