Client Services Engineer
Published on April 02, 2023
The hybrid work solution that enables audience engagement through live, inclusive conversations across organizations. Share your activity using #PollEverywhere!
Poll Everywhere is looking for a Client Services Engineer (CSE) to be the liaison between our Product Engineering and Customer Success teams. We are excited to be hiring for both a Client Services Engineer and a Sr. Client Services Engineer to take the lead in helping these teams diagnose and resolve technical issues, provide guidance to customers, and collaborate with cross-functional team members to ensure that our high-value accounts have everything they need to get the most out of Poll Everywhere at their organization. You will have a bigger picture of the product, its lifecycle, and its use by customers. Poll Everywhere’s CSEs will foster interdepartmental communication in the company and provide fast problem-solving for Poll Everywhere's customers.
Engineering at Poll Everywhere is highly collaborative in nature. You can expect to work cross-functionally with Customer Success Managers to understand an account’s use case, with Product Managers on how your projects fit into the broader product strategy, with Designers on usability, accessibility, and aesthetics, and to maintain a high bar for quality with our QA team.
At Poll Everywhere we’re serious about helping our people meet their career goals. We have a long history of seeking out growth opportunities aligned with individual interests and promote internally often. Whether it's leading a project, establishing an elegant pattern to solve a common problem, or refining an interface so users can get their work done more quickly and enjoyably, we work hard to find the right match for each person. Poll Everywhere has an excellent track record of being a place to deepen your product development and engineering skills.
Poll Everywhere is looking forward at a refreshed mission to make presentations more inclusive. We believe that having our product in use at more of the 17 billion meetings a year in the F1000 would change those organizations through the inclusion of more voices. Our platform enables presenters to create interactive questions, word clouds, discussions, and competitions that their audience can respond to using any device. Founded in 2008, we now support millions of users worldwide from educational institutions to household companies such as Google, AT&T, and Target.
Objectives of the role
- Be a dedicated full stack engineer supporting our Customer Success team in order to provide guidance on technical requirements for integration projects and be able to work through our tools in order to help scale and automate all that tooling across our Customer Success team.
- Make sure our managed accounts & their technical teams (IT departments) get the most out of Poll Everywhere by simplifying license seat administration with standards and tools like SAML SSO to improve security and simplify authentication, workOS (implementing SCIM) to adapt to changing organizational membership of our customers and LTI to assess learning outcomes.
- Actively participate in customer calls by gathering technical requirements, proposing a solution & working with the larger engineering team to ensure alignment with our solution
- Document technical solutions you build
- Develop technical estimation skills as you learn our business, creating accurate delivery timelines and meeting those commitments
- Deliver effective solutions to both internal staff and to unblock account expansion so our customers can get the most out of Poll Everywhere.
Daily & monthly responsibilities
- Implement integrations for our managed accounts: Single Sign On to be able to have users be able to authenticate with Poll Everywhere using systems already in place at their organizations. Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) for exporting Poll Everywhere responses to tools used for grading and assessment in Higher Education. System for Cross-domain Identity Management (SCIM) for provisioning users and syncing user directories
- Meet with Customer Success Managers & their managed accounts to provide guidance on technical requirements for integration projects, develop features, workflows & automation, address any challenges blocking progress, and complete bulk tasks to help these accounts use Poll Everywhere more effectively. Examples include SSO set-up kick-off, live troubleshooting with customers during implementation, and support CSMs on a call where the customer is bringing in members of their engineering team to troubleshoot an issue.
- Estimate the technical complexity and time to complete features, data migrations, or ad-hoc tasks. You’ll have direct access to the CTO as your manager and the Director of Customer Success in order to plan and prioritize work.
- Optimize and document the workflows, processes, and tools that you work on to ensure repeatability and scalability.
- Contribute to the Customer Success team’s feature prioritization discussion, providing technical estimates of the work involved for each.
- Participate in on-call rotation
Skills you need to be successful in the role
- 2+ years working as a full-stack or backend engineer
- 1+ years working in a customer-facing role
- Experience using a web application framework like Ruby on Rails, Phoenix, Express, or Django.
- Ability to prioritize requests and deliver solutions in a high-quality and efficient manner
- You enjoy working with clients to understand their needs and craft solutions that map to customers’ business goals and initiatives.
Nice to have’s
- Atomic CSS frameworks like Tailwind CSS for consistency and layout
- Enhancing accessibility using tools like axe
- Google Material Design for interactive components
Our users come from all kinds of communities, and so do PollEvians. We want to work with great people from a wide variety of backgrounds who put a lot of care and pride into their work. We're committed to providing you with opportunities to learn, and we’re looking to hire people with good judgment.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications or check off all the boxes, you should still seriously consider applying. An important part of our interview process is understanding why this position and our mission particularly resonated with you.