Senior Software Engineer
Alto is America’s leading digital pharmacy, transforming a $500 billion industry. Founded in 2015, Alto’s better pharmacy model is centered on the critical role of pharmacists as the final link in a person’s health journey. Alto combines expert pharmacist care with purpose-built technology to deliver a more convenient and affordable experience for those who need medication. To date, Alto has fulfilled more than three million prescriptions, expanded to twelve markets, and built a mobile app experience that makes it easier than ever to manage medications and chat with a pharmacist. As Alto continues its rapid growth, it remains customer obsessed, with an industry-leading NPS score of 86.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer at Alto, you will join a growing team that is working to improve patients' lives through a better pharmacy experience. By developing an integrated platform that includes patients and doctors, offering free same-day delivery, and building a pricing engine to ensure patients always get the best price on their medications, we are bringing pharmacy into the modern era and making high-quality healthcare accessible to all. Our mission at Alto is to fulfill medicine’s true purpose—to improve quality of life—for everyone who needs it. We're building a better pharmacy experience for everyone - powered by software built by people who care.
What we’re working on
Example projects include:
- Enabling patients to request a price quote through the apps for prescriptions they are considering transferring to Alto to build trust in our service and motivate patients to transfer.
- Allow patients to quickly and easily schedule refills directly through SMS to ensure they get their next fill on time.
- Building notification “working hours” into our mobile application so providers can choose when we contact them, making it easier to integrate a work app on a personal device.
- Automating a key insurance workflow, saving time for our operations staff and creating a hassle-free experience for our providers.
- Play a critical role in designing and building core parts of our Supply Chain applications, such as predictive procurement, automated fulfillment, and dynamic courier routing.
- Implementing our new and improved design system/component library to accelerate design and engineering time to delivery.
- Extracting our web client from the monolith, reducing deployment times and giving us greater freedom over our tools and patterns.
Over the Next 12 months we will be:
- Building a support tool inside our patient app that guides patients to the features or information they are looking for
- Building the tooling to collect analytics to help inform our product roadmap
- Revamping our care specialists support platform to have hyper focused problem solving tools that reduce handle time and onboarding time for new care specialists
- Build a framework for iterating on the way we present information to patients so that we can rapidly iterate and quickly find the fastest way to get our patients to the help they need
Accelerate your career as you:
- Work with a highly collaborative cross-functional team composed of product managers, designers, engineers, analysts, user researchers, and operations working together to define and build the world class modern pharmacy experience.
- Tackle complex technical and domain problems at the intersection of healthcare and e-commerce.
- Use your expertise to create technical leverage that enables us to deliver more value to patients, healthcare providers, and pharmacists.
- Define and implement features in our native and web applications that ensure patients get their medications, know how to use them safely, and remain adherent.
- Focus on scaling and automating our existing services and delivering high impact features for our Pharmacy Care, Operations, and Supply Chain teams.
- Evolve our team culture and processes through collaboration, participation in sprint rituals and retros, and mentorship.
- Help grow the engineering culture of Alto towards quality, scalability, and the best outcomes for our patients
- Shape our patient app so most patient problems are self-serviceable while still providing world class support for the problems that are not
- Build a highly customized support experience in both our patient facing mobile app and our care specialist’s back office web application
- Collaborate with other teams on cross-functional projects
- Have the opportunity to lead small projects and grow to leading larger projects and develop your career as a leader within Alto
- Work with our design team to evolve our design system and create reusable components across native and web applications
A Bit About You:
- Have 2+ years of experience writing production code
- Experienced building front-ends with a modern JS framework like React, Vue, or Angular
- Experienced with backend development
- Experience writing automated tests using CI/CD pipelines
- Strong engineering fundamentals but derives satisfaction from mentorship and elevating team members
- Passionate about Alto’s mission and our company values
- Experienced as a product engineer working on end-user facing features, collaborating with product and design teams
- Track record of learning and growth
- Experienced with React Native
- Experienced with Ruby on Rails
- Experienced leading a project or a team
- Have architected complex systems for long-term maintainability, performance, and scalability
Additional Physical Job Requirements:
- Read English, comprehend, and follow simple oral and written instructions. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Assessing the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned.
- Communicating with others to exchange information. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; those activities where detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and making fine discriminations in sound.
- Frequent repeating motions required to operate a computer that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Sedentary work: Sitting most of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Walking and standing are required only occasionally.