Senior Backend Developer
Published on April 13, 2023
Mango is a company of risk-takers and ambitious innovators driven to build a resource that challenges you to discover new connections with one another and the world through a more profound understanding of language and culture. We’ve built an environment where smart technology and passionate people work as one to create a learning system built on proven methodologies, award-winning learning features, and developed by expert linguists and native speakers from all corners of the globe, so that you feel confident to start the conversation in any language.
Are you an experienced Backend Developer looking for an exciting new opportunity? Mango is looking for a well-versed developer to help advance our language learning technology.
Our ideal candidate will be passionate about applying their expertise to solve interesting problems and drive new improvements to our language learning products. Your work will directly shape the future of our products, and the future of language learning for our users all over the globe!
You will be part of a core team of product managers, engineers, and linguists working within a fast-growing organization on a mission to create the most effective, engaging and robust language learning software in the world.
If you are an experienced developer with an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset and a love of language, we want to hear from you!
Please note, if you need sponsorship or are outside of the US, we thank you for your interest in Mango Languages but are currently not in a position to sponsor or work with candidates that reside outside of the United States.Required Skills
- Strong experience in backend development using at least one programming language such as Ruby or Python
- Expertise in designing and developing RESTful APIs and microservices.
- Experience with database technologies such as MySQL PostgreSQL or Cassandra.
- Familiarity with cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure.
- Experience with at least one web framework such as Ruby on Rails, Django or Spring.
- Knowledge of caching mechanisms, message queues, and data structures.
- Experience with testing frameworks such as RSpec, JUnit, or PyTest.
- Understanding of version control systems, particularly Git.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Design, develop and maintain scalable and reliable backend systems and services.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including front-end developers, product managers, and designers to identify, prioritize and execute tasks.
- Architect, implement and maintain APIs for web and mobile applications.
- Ensure system security, performance, and scalability.
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-documented code.
- Develop and maintain automated tests to ensure code quality.
- Troubleshoot and debug complex issues in production and development environments.
- Continuously research and evaluate new technologies and industry trends.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior developers.
- Participate in code reviews to ensure best practices and maintainability.
- Participate in agile development processes and attend sprint planning and review meetings.
- Document technical solutions and best practices for internal and external use.
Mango Languages is an industry leader in providing engaging language-learning experiences to millions of users around the globe. Available on mobile, tablet, and web-based platforms, our software uses real-world conversations (in 74 languages and counting!) and cultural insights to share world languages with public library patrons, students, corporate employees, government officials, and learners of all ages.
Mango Languages is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected category. All employment decisions are made solely on the merit and capability of an individual applicant. At Mango Languages we maintain a drug-free workplace. We are committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for all employees and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations.