Senior Software Engineer, SEO
Published on April 17, 2023
At Going, stuffy corporate jargon and the 9-5 rules aren’t for us. We’re not just a company that searches for flight deals, we’re travelers too, & we love sharing with our members and finding ways to connect because we’re always inviting the unexpected no matter when or where you work. We have big plans and our team is ready to grow!
About the role
Before you continue reading, take a moment to search "cheap flights to Paris" on Google. You’re not seeing Going as a top search result, are you? We know there's a huge opportunity to improve our SEO for searches related to cheap flights and other travel content. That's where you come in.
We’re looking for a full-stack Senior Software Engineer to enhance our SEO efforts by developing and executing SEO strategies that will drive organic traffic to our website, increase our visibility in search engines, and help us rank higher for targeted keywords. You’ll also help us improve our member experience by optimizing our website and building programmatic web pages. We’re excited about the impact that a dedicated SEO Engineer will have on creating value for travelers and Going.
In the short term, you will
- Become familiar with our code base, code style, tech stack, development and deployment process, and our project management process
- Work closely with Product Managers to implement technical enhancements on the website that improve search engine rankings and optimize overall website performance for SEO
- Develop programmatic pages to target long tail search terms
- Collaborate cross-functionally with content marketing to ensure we're following best practices, increasing rankings, and troubleshooting low-ranking pages
- Contribute to the design and architecture of new and existing services
- Develop and execute SEO strategies that drive organic traffic to our website
- Optimize landing pages to rank for higher-targeted keywords
- Iterate on data-driven hypotheses and test assumptions to optimize for SEO
In the long term, you will
- Take end-to-end ownership and responsibility for the architecture, deployment, and maintenance of SEO-related product features
- Bring creative solutions to projects to support the continual improvement of Going
- Collaborate with other Growth Squad Engineers to support development of other initiatives, as needed
- Serve as an advocate for engineering best practices and help the team explore and implement new technology
What you bring to the table:
- High autonomy: We don’t like being micromanaged, and we don’t like micromanaging others. Leading developers are those we trust to do what is right without leadership stepping in. You've demonstrated that you can accomplish complex tasks you're assigned without hands-on oversight and direction.
- Intellectual curiosity: You are motivated to try new methods and learn new technologies without direction to do so. You are always thinking of ways to improve existing systems or build better ones.
- Great attention to detail: You have a nose for edge cases and can anticipate potential snags when discussing technical solutions.
- Balance of refinement and pragmatism: We will lean on you to know when to dial in the perfect abstraction vs shipping simple, working code.
- Excellent communication skills: We are a fully remote company that relies heavily on async communication. Staying tuned-in to our communications channels will be integral to your success here.
- Resourcefulness: You lean on your experience to drive you to an optimal solution. When you don’t know how to solve a problem, you know how to comprehensively research to find the solution. You are the person that people talk to when they can't figure something out.
- Resilience: No one is perfect. You’ve made some mistakes, but you can acknowledge your failures and take full responsibility for them. By making mistakes, you’ve learned to avoid pitfalls and make architectural decisions that allow you to maneuver through challenges of uncertainty and complexity. You demonstrate and promote a culture of accountability and learning, not a culture of blame.
What you know
- Hands on expertise in Ruby on Rails and React
- A deep understanding of SEO best practices and a proactive approach to staying up to date with the latest trends and updates
- Experience with scaling technical SEO efforts internationally
- Experience with Webflow and understanding of its limitations (or experience with site migrations from Webflow to other CMS)
- A passion for A/B testing, URL split testing, and creative ways to measure SEO-related changes
- Familiarity with the entire stack, including web servers, application layers, caching, and databases
- Knowledge of relational and non-relational databases
- You’re legally authorized to work in the United States and able to work US-hours.
- Familiarity with SEO tools such as Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Ahrefs, etc.
- Experience measuring and improving Core Web Vitals
Technologies we use
- Ruby on Rails is our primary server framework
- React is our primary front end development framework
- Postgres and Redis are our primary storage engines
- BigQuery for our data warehouse
- Heroku for deployments and infrastructure (migrating to AWS/EKS)
- GitHub for source code management
- Circle CI for continuous integration
- Notion for documentation and collaboration
- Jira for project management
Who you’ll work with
- This role will report to Justin Kuo.
- You’ll be a member of our Growth Squad, collaborating often with Erica Carter, Debbie Diaz, Peter Jabbour, and Tessa Morton.
- You’ll also work closely with a third party SEO Contractor, our CEO, Brian, and our Content Marketing team made up of Katie Hammel & Brooke Vaughan.
Why you might love working here
- The salary for this role is $148,732 + equity.
- 100% remote work environment, so go ahead and bring your dog to work or wear your PJ's to the office!
- $500/Quarter Remote Work Stipend
- $75/month Physical & Mental Wellness Stipend
- Open vacation policy, with a 15 days minimum!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life insurance
- 401(k) with a 5% match
- 12-weeks of paid family leave
- No Meeting/Flex Fridays
- Meetup stipend when you cross paths with a co-worker
- Continuing education & development reimbursement
- Bi-annual team retreats (In September, we went to Zion National Park and in April we went to Mexico City!)
- Challenging problems to solve and an awesome team to collaborate with every single day
We want you to bring your authentic self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to ancestry; age; appearance; color; gender identity and/or expression; genetics; family or parental status; marital, civil union, or domestic partnership status; mental, physical, or sensory disability; national, social or ethnic origin; past or present military service; sexual orientation; socioeconomic status; race; religion or belief.
If you require a reasonable accommodation or assistance for any part of the interview and employment process, please contact us at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request.
Compensation Range: $148.7K - $148.7K