Senior Software Engineer - Registry
Who We Are
Babylist is the leading vertical marketplace and commerce destination for baby, driving purchase decisions for more than 8 million people each year. Utilizing robust proprietary data, patented technology, and unbiased editorial guidance, Babylist recommends expert-tested products to those starting their parenting journey so loved ones can offer their support. Babylist registries connect new parents and their community of family and friends who help plan, prepare, and shop for a child's arrival. Babylist is the generational brand in baby, leading the $67 billion baby products market as the trusted go-to solution for growing families. To learn about Babylist’s registry options, editorial content, and more, visit www.babylist.com.
Our Ways of Working
We’re a remote-first company with team members located across the United States spanning multiple time zones, so we put in extra effort to make sure we connect and collaborate in ways that make sense for both the individual and for the business. We care about our work but know that we all care about things outside of work, too. Sometimes this looks like being flexible with our time to log on to a critical meeting and other times, it’s our team being flexible for us to attend to life outside of Babylist. As a remote-first company, personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to build those relationships, we meet with coworkers in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually. Though most of our roles are fully remote, the majority of our leadership positions require limited amounts of travel for in-person meetings throughout the year, primarily to our headquarters in Oakland, CA.
Our Tech Stack
- Ruby on Rails
- Native iOS and Android
What the Role Is
Babylist is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Registry team. This team is responsible for the end-to-end experience of building and sharing your Babylist registry; used and loved by millions of parents and gift givers. Product areas include catalog search, structured registry building, product recommendations, guides, recommendations, and thank you notes.
As a Senior Fullstack Engineer you will work with product managers and designers within our Shape Up process to scope, shape, and deliver improvements and new functionality to our registry experience.
Who You Are
- 5+ years of experience in full-stack software development
- An exceptional problem solver
- Able to deliver elegant, effective software solutions in a timely manner
- A clear, friendly, and open-minded communicator
- Passionate about developing features from concept to deployment
- Successful in an agile work environment and able to break down large pieces of work to deliver value incrementally
How You'll Make an Impact
- Design your organization and processes to achieve maximum business impact
- Develop and own the strategic roadmap for data analytics and data engineering for the entire company
- Champion the use of data across all business functions
- Create a culture of inclusiveness, kindness, creativity, and impact
- Be a talent builder to attract, mentor, and retain best in class talent
What You'll Do
- Work closely with product owners to design, implement and deploy systems to support and scale our registry experiences.
- Provide thought leadership around process, tooling, systems, and software architecture. We benefit by more knowledge and learning how others solve problems.
- Improve and help maintain existing systems. Friction in the development process slows us down and has a large opportunity cost. We see value in taking time to create maintainable systems and remove hurdles from the development process.
- Working in a close, supportive team solving real world problems and making decisions.
- Mentoring other team members through design and architecture planning, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions.
- Maintaining older systems and replacing them safely.
- Identifying opportunities for product improvements founded in your technical knowledge of our software systems.
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We are a remote first company and invest in infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are committed to providing an actively antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.