Backend Software Engineer
Published on April 30, 2023
At RubiconMD we are on a passionate pursuit to empower primary care clinicians to deliver accessible, equitable specialty care to their patients. We built the first eConsult platform and today we are the leading multi-specialty care network. We’re continuously innovating and expanding what’s possible for primary care.
RubiconMD is an innovative healthcare company bringing better care at lower costs to providers and their patients across the country. RubiconMD’s mission is to ensure that all patients have access to the care they need, no matter who they are or where they live. It’s no small order, but we achieve it with the right team. That’s why we hire empathetic, passionate, and strong leaders who are looking to make an impact in the world through our core values: Human, Agile, Innovative & Collaborative.
If you’re passionate about having a positive impact by revolutionizing the healthcare system and democratizing access to care, we’d love to learn more about you! Our engineering team is located across the US, primarily based in New York City, and throughout Spain.
Key responsibilities include:
- Champion end-to-end feature development with participation in system design & architecture, engineering implementation, software release, and technical support
- Share and be open to learn from your peers via pair programming, technical writing, code reviews, architecture discussions, and active engagement with stakeholders
- Make explicit tradeoffs between technical implementation directions, and strive to clearly communicate to your peers what data drove you to make these choices
- Identify and advocate for opportunities to improve the performance, reliability, and scalability of technical stack and processes
- Build accessible, secure, and performant software solutions in a highly regulated healthcare environment. These may include on platform features, internal support tooling, mobile applications, and third party integrations
About our stack:
Everything's up for debate but we want to leave you with a good idea of what tools we are using today. While keeping our current tool box up to date, we are open minded about trying new technologies and ideas that may better fit our needs.
At the highest level, our Ruby on Rails backend is hosted in AWS with our Angular frontend being served through a CDN. We process tasks asynchronously and leverage a frontend cache to help reduce network calls against our GraphQL APIs. Our Data Science team works off of a data lake, pulling data frames into python for reporting and analytics.
This is the general idea and we’re happy to jump into all the details with you!
Desired skills and experience:
- We are using Rails 7 which means we hope you’ve had strong experience in Ruby or other object-oriented languages along with a deep understanding of the MVC pattern and how an ORM impacts SQL.
- When things get tough, we count on you to jump into the Rails console and our logs in Datadog and utilize your underlying experience in designing scalable applications.
- In delivering robust software, we expect you to bring some opinions about clean code, testability, and design patterns.
- We use GraphQL as a query language for our API between frontend and backend. You should have experience utilizing APIs and designing contracts between engineering teams.
How we work:
We use scrum to organize into delivery teams which are autonomous, and responsible for holistically delivery features and pilots to our users. Our teams include fullstack, frontend, and backend engineers. We round out the team with a dedicated Scrum Master and Product Owner. These teams operate on a two-week sprint.
Additionally we have DevOps and Data Science teams providing support and insight across team functions.
Key responsibilities include:
RubiconMD’s founding mission is to democratize medical expertise, so that all patient populations have access to the care they need. In order to deliver on this, we focus on empowering primary care providers, who we believe are the key to a thriving, equitable health care system. It’s no small order, but we can achieve it with the right team. That’s why we hire people with drive and leadership, who are also highly accountable—to each other, to the providers we serve, and to the impact we exist to make.
RubiconMD is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination against persons of any kind on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nation of origin, age, disability, and genetics.
**COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment unless there is a legally protected reason for an accommodation.