Senior Software Engineer - Remote
Published on April 30, 2023
Thanx is the guest engagement and retention platform helping physical retailers become more digitally agile. Through best-in-class digital purchasing and proprietary integrations with credit card networks (e.g. Visa), the Thanx platform effortlessly captures and activates retail data at scale, allowing physical retailers to more meaningfully engage with their customers.
Who are we?
Thanx is a leading provider of digital guest engagement for offline businesses. Brick-and-mortar retailers, restaurants, and malls are facing an unprecedented crisis in the aftermath of COVID-19; Thanx helps these businesses embrace digital purchasing, capture greater customer data, and take action on that information to personalize every interaction with their guests. Our proprietary integrations with credit card networks (e.g. Visa) provide the volume and accuracy of purchase data which sits at the core of every product we build. Last quarter, Thanx saw record digital purchasing and marketing campaigns initiated on our platform, even amid a global pandemic. Recently named to the Nation’s Restaurant News “2020 Power List” as one of the 50 most influential innovators in food-service, our CEO describes our vision: “Brick-and-mortar commerce in the US alone is a multi-trillion dollar category but most businesses still severely lack the data and tools to deliver personalized, closed-loop marketing. Thanx is on a mission to change this permanently.”
Thanx has gained the investment of prominent venture and growth equity luminaries, having raised more than $30M from elite investors such as M33 Growth, Ribbit Capital, and Sequoia Capital — with our most recent financing coming earlier in 2020 (feels like a lifetime ago, huh?). Core to our success is a culture that has attracted some of the best talents from across the country; we are proud of our incredibly strong employee tenure, track-record of internal promotions, and impressive alumni network. We credit our cultural “core behaviors” with these accomplishments: Find A Way, Focus on What Matters, Say “Thanx” Genuinely, Welcome Diverse Perspectives, and Empathy Over Ego.
Note: The position is remote within Canada and United States.
About your role
We’re a strong engineering team that is building a platform to enable retailers to compete in a world being threatened by the disruptive e-commerce businesses. With millions of users and thousands of businesses on the platform, we’ve found strong product-market fit and are growing rapidly. We’re building out massively scalable backend systems and APIs, beautifully designed user experiences, and highly intelligent marketing tools. We take pride in our platform and recognize the value of paying down tech debt, investing in the future, and truly making our codebases enjoyable to operate in. As Thanx continues to quickly grow, we’re expanding our engineering team.
Some technology we use:
- Frontend: React, React Native, Redux, Typescript
- Backend: Ruby on Rails, Golang, gRPC
- Infrastructure: AWS, Fargate, Terraform, Docker
- Development: CircleCI, Github, Datadog, Sentry
Who Are You?
We are looking to expand our engineering team and establish an engineering hub in the Toronto-Waterloo corridor. We are looking for strong senior full-stack engineers to join our team as foundational team members in the area. As an ideal candidate, you enjoy practicing the craft of software engineering — writing high-quality code, building high-impact products, and finding elegant solutions for complex technical problems.
- This is a hands-on role. You will spend significant time writing & shipping software
- You will build highly scalable, performant systems and products
- You have the ability to work across the entire stack — frontend, backend, infrastructure, data, devops
- You will learn from and collaborate with a talented engineering team
- You will have opportunities to work across the entire stack
- You’re always learning new frameworks, languages, and tools
- You’re a fantastic team player: communicative, collaborative, empathetic
- You thrive in a distributed team environment
- You enjoy mentoring others and contributing with recruitment efforts
We are not big on requirements, but you likely have:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience at a fast-growing technology organization with clear, fast, and hard-earned career progression.
- Experience with RoR, Django, Gin or comparable web frameworks.
- Experience with modern front-end technology (React, Redux, Typescript, similar).
- Experience with provisioning, managing, and documenting infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP, Terraform).
- Experience in a very fast-paced, startup environment with the ability to quickly get up to speed, iterate, and take on projects.
- BA/BS degree required, computer science/engineering background is a plus.
What we offer:
Along with joining a connected, fun, inclusive and passionate community you will be eligible for the following:
- Remote-first environment with an option to work from the office if you want to and flexible working hours to accommodate work-life balance
- $750 HomeThanx Office setup stipend
- Competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package
- Employee Equity Program
- Flexible PTO time and sick days
- Paid parental leave programs
- Professional development and peer recognition opportunities
- Company swag, lot’s of fun and other cool perks!