Senior Ruby Engineer / freelance - EU-based (f/m/x)
Remote - EU
We are currently looking for a senior and full-time back-end engineer who will join an exciting legal tech startup based in Brussels. You will be working remotely with the existing development team of two front-end, one DevOps, and one cyber security engineer, focusing on the back-end development of the platform.
You will report directly to the CTO.
To be very clear: this job posting is not for madewithlove, but for one of our clients whom we consciously chose to work with.
This client is actively promoting a higher level of transparency towards consumers when their personal data is being collected, enabling a fairer balance between their privacy rights and the needs of organisations. Their SaaS solutions allow companies to comply with the GDPR and e-privacy cookie rules. For compliance reasons you must be based in the EU. (Please only apply if this is the case as we cannot make any exceptions on this.)
What will you be doing
As a Senior back-end Engineer, you will be a key member of our client's development team of top-notch engineers.
- You will focus on new features combined with some architecture analysis to improve cooperation between backend and frontend.
- You will write modern Ruby code while working according to the latest standards.
- You understand that continuous refactoring is part of the job and have a critical and pragmatic approach to guard over the quality of the code.
- You will conceive (technical) solutions for the problems our clients and their customers are facing by writing clean and readable code
- You will be responsible for the technical architecture of the back-end side of the platform and make the right choices on technologies the client should (not) use.
- You will be responsible for implementing manual and automatic testing as an integral part of delivering high-quality features.
- You will break down complex interactions into well crafted components and lead the development of complex features.
!! Do not hesitate to apply if you do not fulfill 100% of the requirements. Superheroes don't exist, people with passion and talent do !!
(Except that you MUST live and work in the European Union.)
- You aim to improve others as much as yourself.
- You are an initiator and fast learner and you feel comfortable taking over a legacy codebase.
- You know where information can be found and actively search for it. You can think for yourself and challenge the information you find. You don't hesitate to ask questions because others know things you don't.
- You document everything and in such a way that everybody can understand what is happening and why.
- You make sure that everybody in your team feels safe to give their opinion and you value every team member's input. Once a group decision is made, you act as a team member by following the architecture, the processes and coding standards as agreed upon.
- You do what you promise and you take ownership of tasks. You always try to go for the best quality possible with respect to timing and budget.
- You understand the why of decisions and you suggest improvements when you see an opportunity.
- You always aim for quality. You actively and consistently strive to expand your knowledge, both technical and non-technical.
- You are able to give others honest, constructive and actionable feedback.
- You assign credit accurately and generously.
- Clear communication: in times where everybody works remotely and live meetings are scarce, being able to clearly communicate issues or questions is even more important.
- Senior Ruby developer (Ruby-on-rails)
- Knowledge of Apollo GraphQL and PostgreSQL
- Familiar with Agile framework and Jira
- Focus on clean and future-proof coding, following best practices and internal guidelines
- Keen on quality assurance and automatic testing
- Version control is something you could not miss anymore.
- As English is the main communication language within the development team, being fluent in English is vital to assure clear communication and avoid misunderstandings.
- Basic skills in React JS, used for the frontend
- Knowledge of other Ruby libraries, frameworks, and add-ons as ROM, Röda, Dry-rb, RSpec
- Familiar with AWS
What you will be offered
- Competitive monthly freelancer rate
- Numerous opportunities for learning and development
- Flexible working conditions to ensure a good work-life balance
- The possibility to work remotely from any country of the EU
- You will be working in a young and dynamic scale-up that strives for a friendly work environment and diversity.
- Occasional (onsite) team events
The client specifically encourages underrepresented groups to apply. They believe in the strengths of well-balanced, and mixed teams and hope their applications will attract a broader audience with regards to gender, religion, race, age, disability, linguistic differences, socioeconomic status, or sexual orientation.