Ruby on Rails Backend Engineer (remote-friendly)
Published on January 31, 2023
As a Ruby on Rails Backend Engineer you will write well-documented, thoroughly tested, scalable, and extensible code. You should understand the importance of agility and rapid prototyping during the development cycle, but are careful never to sacrifice quality when shipping code. You will need to work and communicate well within a small team of developers, UX designers, and business minds and learn new technologies and seek the help of others in areas where you lack experience.
What you'll do
- Design the application backend, including APIs & databases.
- Setup the backend infrastructure to run on various cloud platforms (DevOps).
- Future-proof the backend through microservices architectures.
- Integrate the backend with various 3rd party banking / finance APIs.
- Setup and manage test automation & CI/CD processes.
What we're looking for
- BS/MA in Computer Science, Engineering or similar relevant field.
- Proven experience deploying backend servers & APIs on GCP.
- Experience with DevOps & Automation: GKE, GCE, Docker, Ansible, Redis
- Experience with cloud-based databases (eg. Google Cloud SQL, Firestore, BigQuery).
- Experience with Ruby & Ruby on Rails
- Experience with scripting languages (eg. python).
- Published microservices architectures supporting native mobile apps.
- Familiar with source-control management (Git & Github).
- Prior experience in working with Scrum and/or Agile methodologies.
- Experience with unit testing & test automation frameworks for backend/API development.
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design.
- Strong command of English language, both verbal and written a must.
Why you'll love working here
- Startup environment that’s big on individual responsibility and leans on process and automation.
- We’re big on culture. Work with stunning, supportive product, design and engineering teams on problems that matter.
- You will be learning and growing all of the time. From business, product, design to engineering you will be learning from a world-class team that is caring, kind, and empathetic.
- Mamo has the potential for a wide-reaching impact. Mamo is taking on the challenge of bringing about a new era of financial inclusion that begins close to home by providing access and experiences that make sense. That means you will never be bored.
As part of the team, you’ll need to see things from the customer’s point of view and work with the team to optimize the user journey every day.
The questions in the next section will help you better understand how to assess the user journey and will give you a realistic sense of this role’s day-to-day tasks.
In order to answer the questions below, you’ll need to:
> Download the Mamo Pay app from this link or the App Store/Google Play Store
> Go through the verification process of the Mamo pay app
Side note: The verification process takes ~5 mins and requires your UAE Emirates ID and an official document that proves your UAE address (ex: utility bill).
At Mamo, our employees are our first customers. We want our teams to be happy and healthy both inside and outside of work. Our benefits and perks are indicative of the philosophy that by taking care of our people they would take care of our users. We hire courageous explorers who are both kind and compassionate, and who enjoy iterating, learning, and growing. Here’s how we set you up for success:
🚀 Equity, that's right we want you to have skin in the game (full-time team members)
👏 Competitive salaries that are revisited yearly or each time we raise funding
🥷🏻 Top-tier medical insurance, so that you are your best at work (full-time team members)
📚 Endless training opportunities, our philosophy here is simple: learn, grow and share
👌 Rest up and come back refreshed with up to 25 paid days off in addition to statutory leave (full-time team members)
More about Mamo
Mamo is a bold and inclusive Fintech created by ex-Googlers to help people live their life to the fullest. Mamo's flagship solution is Mamo Pay, a fast, secure, human-centered platform created to simplify everyday personal and business payments. With trust, traceability, and transparency at the top of its agenda, Mamo aims to accelerate the MENA region towards digital payments and champion financial inclusion and literacy across economically diverse communities. By empowering people with simpler, faster, friendlier financial products. Our vision is to make everyday payments, transfers, and transactions simple while bringing financial independence to every human being.
Learn more about Mamo's vision, mission and values →
Learn more about Mamo on LinkedIn →