Back-End Software Engineer (Mid-level, Senior, Staff)
Remote - US
As a Back-End Engineer at Notarize, you’ll be essential in helping us scale our notary platform to meet the exponential growth and expansion of our business. Some of the current projects you might be involved in: improving the system to better match supply and demand of signers and notaries on our platform (similar to how car share services connect drivers to passengers), building better tools to enhance notary efficiency and compliance across all 50 states, and developing robust and efficient management services for notary operations.
What you’ll do as a Back-End Engineer:
- Use Ruby on Rails, Postgres through AWS RDS, Heroku, and GraphQL
- Collaborate cross-functionally with designers, developers, QA engineers, and product managers
- Design, build, extend, and support a highly available and scalable infrastructure
- Be involved in all phases of development, from ideation to release to tracking and analyzing the impact of shipped features
- Provide leadership and critical input on the design of our technologies and services
What we're looking for:
- Experience working with a team of engineers on product software development
- A love of problem solving, and delivering innovative product solutions to improve people’s lives
- A willingness to learn in any part of the stack - from back-end services to data layers to web interfaces, and comfort with adapting to new technology and new opportunities
- A belief in good unit test coverage and strong test case scenarios - active consideration of the different ways features will be used
- An inclination towards action and solutions
- The ability to work autonomously and own problems from end to end
- Effective communication and active listening skills, with a thoughtful, collaborative approach to problem-solving
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- 401k with 4% match
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Fully-distributed team: work from anywhere in the U.S.
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) + regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people's lives. It's a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don't presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
We encourage everyone to apply, even if you are unfamiliar with the technologies we are using. When hiring new engineers, we consider ourselves platform agnostic. A willingness to learn and experiment with new tech is much more important than hands-on experience with our current stack.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.