Senior Backend Engineer (Remote)
Published on August 21, 2023
Movement changes everything Your body. Your mind. Your confidence. Your outlook. Your health. We believe that movement is medicine. A super tool for managing stress, boosting mood, and staying healthy. It’s on the days we move that we do double-takes in the mirror, cross off milestones, and feel our most radiant. Whether it’s a 10-minute HIIT or Dance Cardio class, obé makes it easy to show up, so you can ignite your confidence and strength—in class and in life.
Founded in 2018 by co-founders Ashley Mills and Mark Mullett, obé Fitness is the first live and on demand fitness platform of its kind. With more than 22 live classes per day, and a library of 8,000+ workouts taught by the most sought-after instructors, obé’s signature 28-minute complete-body workouts make fitness accessible, affordable, efficient, varied and fun.
We are currently building a world class team of passionate experts who come to work, grow, interact, and collaborate. We’re looking for individuals that have the desire to innovate everyday at a product-first, brand obsessed, customer focused, mission driven and best in class fitness lifestyle platform.
About the role:
As a senior backend engineer, you’ll be working within our engineering team and collaborating with internal users, data scientists, and the product team to develop and improve our platform services and tools.
You’ll strive to continuously improve the experience of customers and engineers by building robust, maintainable, and evolvable technology that’s straightforward to understand and constantly delivers value to our users. You’ll be encouraged to be pragmatic and autonomous, taking considerable ownership of the software you create.
Our current tech stack consists of Ruby on Rails, NextJS, React+Vite, React-Native, PostgreSQL and Redis. We are hosted on Heroku, Vercel and AWS, and leverage a variety of their services. Third party services and API's we use include Stripe, Segment, JWPlayer, Customer.io, and more.
What you’ll do:
- Architect, design and implement new features in an agile software development process for our users and internal stakeholders to grow obé’s core business
- Maintain existing features within our software platform with a commitment to maintainability, observability, and evolvability
- Build internal tooling, fix bugs, tighten security and improve our platforms performance
- Write tests and to ensure code is reliable, maintainable, understandable and robust as we continue to grow our users
- Partner with stakeholders & QA to ensure product requirements are met and we’re always delivering value to customers
Who you are:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Proficient in English
- Excellent coding skills in Ruby and JS/TS
- Strong object oriented design skills along with data modeling expertise
- Experienced with any of our frameworks and stack technologies
- Advanced SQL knowledge and experience working with a variety of databases (SQL/NoSQL)
- Great communicator, data-driven, output focused, reliable, independent, and are able to take on ownership
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment and evaluating trade-offs and priorities
- Passionate about idiomatic code style, readability, and when to use which software design patterns
- Degree in Computer Science or similar industry experience
- Experience working in startup, building APIs for mobile apps, video streaming, or CMS systems
- Full-stack abilities with NextJS or React-Native experience
- Experience with subscription management systems like Stripe, Apple or Google IAP
- Experience with ML systems and algorithms
- You contributed to open source software, or worked on other outstanding projects
- This position pays between $145,000USD - $180,000USD
- Full Medical, Dental and Vision
- FSA and commuter
- 401K plan
- Fully remote, but we do have a wonderful newly renovated office in Dumbo, Brooklyn
- Free obé membership!