Senior Software Engineer, Commerce
Remote - US
We're hiring an experienced Ruby/Rails engineer for our Commerce Squad. One of six squads in our Engineering organization, ConvertKit Commerce allows our users to bridge the gap between building their audience and earning an income.
ConvertKit Engineering is transitioning from a group of individuals who build the app to a more focused department that can serve our customers at scale. At the same time, we’re still small (about 25 engineers). For an experienced individual contributor who likes to influence engineering culture and wants to work in a low-politics environment where we live our values, this is a great time to join. (Conversely, if you love continual reorgs, want to be handed feature specs with no opportunity to shape the projects, and like working on projects with distant deadlines and endlessly growing scope, we are not a good fit for you.)
This role is remote - you can live anywhere, but you most work in US or EMEA time zones. To learn more about how our engineering team works, peruse our engineering blog. Our post on working at ConvertKit as an engineer answers many of our FAQs and is mostly up to date.
The Right Person Has
- Strong experience in developing end-to-end features, and--critically--an ability to understand various solutions and communicate clearly about likely benefits and tradeoffs
- Strong experience writing code that is accessible, scalable, maintainable, and performant
- A keen interest in working closely with Product and Engineering managers on prioritization. That includes analyzing risks and dependencies for proposed features, and providing insight into scope we can cut while still meeting business goals
- A commitment to mentoring and teaching other engineers formally and informally
- Experience with our stack (React and Ruby/Rails)
- Comfort working remotely in an autonomous and somewhat async environment
- Belief in our mission, vision, and values
- Specific past experiences related to payment infrastructure and transaction processing is a plus
Our Team Culture
- We work to foster close and effective relationships within the team. That means you actively listen to teammates, participate in conversations with candor, and use disagreements to make productive decisions
- We’re accountable for the work we commit to. That means you proactively communicate blockers, hold yourself accountable to timeframes, and balance your work with unblocking others via code reviews, pair sessions, etc.
- We avoid unrealistic goals and burnout by setting deadlines, limiting scope, and reassessing reality as we go. That means you pay attention to what you’re learning - about our code base, our systems, and our customer - discuss new insights with teammates regularly, and course correct as needed
- ConvertKit has standardized salaries based on position, no matter where you live. We have six engineering levels. For this role, we’re hiring at a level 3 ($130,000). Level is based upon your experience, our interview process, and our engineering matrix.
Other Benefits Include
- Three weeks (15 days) paid vacation, increasing to four weeks (20 days) paid vacation after one year on the team
- $1,000 yearly vacation bonus for taking five consecutive days of vacation, fully unplugged from work
- 10 paid holidays
- Two weeks of sick leave per year, including mental health days
- Up to six weeks paid bereavement leave and medical leave after six months of employment, two weeks of each paid leave in your first six months.
- Twelve weeks of disaster leave for all team members in 2021
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Gender affirming benefits
- Twelve weeks paid parental leave for primary caregivers, ten weeks paid parental leave for secondary caregivers, with flexible scheduling in your child’s first year
- Profit sharing
- $3,200 equipment allowance for your first two years, $2,500 budget every following two years for U.S.-based team members
- 401k with a 5% match
- Individual learning & development budget
- Yearly conference credit
- Four-week, paid sabbatical after five years with the team
- The team gathers twice a year for fantastic virtual or in-person retreats