Backend Engineer (m/f/d)
Remote - EU
We’re looking for a backend software engineer who has a proven track record building complex distributed applications.
The ideal candidate is someone who has committed themselves to products over multiple releases and shipped software as a member of a very strong team, either as an individual contributor or a technical lead. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products, and who wants to build something that our users – who are equally passionate about art – love, trust, and rely on.
- Build the applications used by the collectors, galleries, and auction houses that make up the world’s largest online art marketplace.
- Design, build, test, and deploy modular software products in the cloud with our backend stack, which includes Ruby on Rails, Node.js, GraphQL, PostgreSQL and MongoDB.
- Write clean, testable, readable and maintainable code that scales and performs.
- Advocate for best practices and coding standards.
- Multiply your impact by sharing what you have learned via team presentations, blog posts, pair programming, and other avenues.
- Own your dependencies by interfacing with the open-source community to solve problems when necessary.
- 3+ years of professional experience
- Experience building and maintaining web services with either a GraphQL or RESTful API, preferably with Ruby on Rails and/or Node.js.
- Experience querying and modifying a variety of databases, including PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch.
- Experience being an integral part of the development of large systems; engaging in decision-making and tradeoff evaluation during the development of those systems.
- Experience participating in several open-source projects and maybe maintaining a few.
Additionally, you should:
- Understand and uphold our key value of “impact over perfection”
- Hold strong opinions, loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feel strong resonance with our engineering principles.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.