Senior Backend Engineer - Core Services
Published on October 23, 2023
BetterUp is a mobile-based coaching platform that brings personalized professional coaching to employees at all levels. We help managers lead better, teams perform better, and employees thrive personally and inspire professionally. Our mission is to help professionals everywhere pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion. Our product was developed by a team of leading behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists to bring evidence-based learning to professionals everywhere. We’re already transforming the way companies approach talent development at high-performing organizations like Genentech, Mars, LinkedIn, and Workday. Let’s build together!
We do. We can’t cram it all in here, but you’ll start noticing it from the first interview.
Even our candidate experience is different. And when you get an offer from us (and accept it), you get way more than a paycheck. You get a personal BetterUp Coach, a development plan, a trained and coached manager, the most amazing team you’ve ever met (yes, each with their own personal BetterUp Coach), and most importantly, work that matters.
This makes for a remarkably focused and fulfilling work experience. Frankly, it’s not for everyone. But for people with fire in their belly, it’s a game-changing, career-defining, soul-lifting move.
Join us and we promise you the most intense and fulfilling years of your career, doing life-changing work in a fun, inventive, soulful culture.
If that sounds exciting—and the job description below feels like a fit—we really should start talking.
- Own your components during the entire lifecycle, from the planning, development, (cloud) deployment, and maintenance phase.
- Build scalable and tolerant systems using container technologies (Docker, K8s) and cloud infrastructure as code (Heroku, AWS, Terraform) and internal tooling to accelerate product development cycles.
- Develop components that BetterUp will use to optimize for rapid growth, keeping in mind the big picture and technical debt under control.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to distill and synthesize requirements into discrete and meaningful iterations.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and tools.
Lean and Agile Thinker:
- Work in short feedback loops and learn via data and metrics.
- Master the use of Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment infrastructure to prototype and validate ideas.
Data-driven decision maker:
- Influence the roadmap by collecting, using, and presenting data.
- Support data-driven decisions and spot opportunities for improvements and optimizations of our systems.
- Fit the technical components of your team into the business context of BetterUp.
Growth-minded technical leader:
- Mentor and influence teammates with architecture and process decisions.
- Lead initiatives and guide teams across the company in technology investments.
- Build strong partnerships with other functions on the product team and organization.
- A minimum of 2 years experience as a senior backend engineer in a similar environment
- Alignment with BetterUp's mission of enabling self-driven behavior change
- Proven track record of designing and operating distributed systems, leveraging industry best practices and modern technologies
- Excellent technical skills with proficiency in Ruby on Rails ecosystem
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS
- Curious about other teams’ challenges and biased toward raising the quality bar across the organization
- Experience in leading projects and dealing with ambiguity
- Business aware and customer-centric
- Strong analytical skills, strategic thinking, and problem-solving abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Company wide Summer & Winter breaks
- Year-round charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.