Site Reliability Engineer II - Remote
BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
As a Site Reliability Engineer II at BigCommerce, you'll work as part of our Technical Operations team. Our Site Reliability / Infrastructure Engineering team consists of a passionate group of individuals who specialize not only in web operations and systems administration but also in software engineering. We're charged with designing the underlying technology stack that powers BigCommerce stores and building the underlying systems and tools that enable engineering teams to build and ship BigCommerce services.
We're looking for an experienced candidate who brings a blended set of skills for software engineering and web operations to our team. In other organizations, you might have heard of this referred to as a "DevOps Engineer". We like to believe DevOps is an idea, a theory, and a set of fundamentals about how we work and interact within our team, in engineering, and for our business.
Currently, you'll find us predominantly working in Ruby, and PHP, backed up by Puppet for configuration management and Terraform for infrastructure management. We've also been known to work in JVM-based languages (Scala), and with Go from time to time. We're always integrating new services and new technologies into our environment - Docker, linkerd, Nomad, and Terraform just to name a few.
**Base Salary, Plus Super, Plus Restricted Stock Units** **To be considered applicants must reside in Australia**
What you will do:
- A software engineer with a curiosity for operations, or an operations engineer that wants to work closely with software engineers to help glue infrastructure and software together.
- Apply software engineering and SRE principles while demonstrating infrastructure automation tools to build, maintain, monitor, and operate sophisticated infrastructure.
- You understand scalable web architectures and cloud technologies.
- Someone who loves to code, and you enjoy working in multiple programming languages. We primarily work with Ruby, PHP, Lua, HCL, and Puppet.
- Assist with defining requirements for tasks and projects
- You drive issues to completion, engaging with your teammates and marshaling resources in high-pressure situations.
- Work closely with your peers to expand your knowledge and understanding of the technologies used in the platform
- Take initiative and work beyond the scope of a task to improve existing systems and code.
- Participate in our on-call rotation.
Who you are:
Our ideal candidate possesses some or all of the following skills:
- 3-5 years experience in building software for operating or supporting large Linux-based web application environments.
- An excellent communicator, who works well with geographically distributed teams such as ours (we are split between Sydney, Austin, Kyiv, and San Francisco).
- You're obsessive-compulsive, in a good way. Your systems and scripts are clean, well-documented, and comprehensible.
- You have a passion for learning, are curious when it comes to working with new technologies or languages, and are not afraid to ask questions.
- Experienced with Linux systems administration, including proven scripting skills in Ruby, PHP, Python, or Bash.
- Experienced with running Docker with container orchestration systems such as Nomad, Kubernetes, Amazon ECS, or Google GKE.
- Experienced with database, document storage, and object storage systems.
- Experienced with configuration management systems such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.
- Experienced with infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Deployment Manager.
- Experienced with monitoring, metrics gathering, error reporting, tracing, and logging systems such as ELK, Prometheus, New Relic, Datadog, Lightstep, or Sentry.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
Our employees make the difference. At BigCommerce, we believe that celebrating the unique histories, perspectives and abilities of every employee makes a difference for our company, our customers and our community. We are an equal opportunity employer and the inclusive atmosphere we build together will make room for every person to contribute, grow and thrive.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.